Meet The East Vancouver Home Inspector
Hello, my name is Geoff Bohaker, it is a pleasure to meet you. I founded Shelter West Home Inspections. In addition I am a licensed home Inspector, who has over 13 years’ of combined construction and home inspection experience. My goal is to make you an informed homeowner, I am successful because I am impartial and I only work for you. meet.
What is my story?
As a matter of fact my love for homes and my fascination with building systems began at a very early age. Once it was time to pick a career I knew it was going to be in the construction industry. Consequently, I became a qualified tradesman in plumbing and gas fitting. During my time as a plumber, I became educated in complicated installations. Additionally, I completed a significant amount of service work both in residential and commercial buildings. In due time, I learned some valuable lessons, including understanding that good communication skills are essential in providing excellent customer service.
Yet despite enjoying the work I was doing, I wanted a new challenge. I really enjoy helping people and recognized that many people need help in understanding their homes. Thus, home inspection peaked my curiosity as a possible career path. Therefore, I diversified and went to school to train to become a home inspector.
Education & Training
Since education has always been important to me, I completed both the ASTTBC- PI training at the British Columbia Institute of Technology and the HIABC training, as I wanted to be as knowledgeable as possible. In doing so, I believe I can provide the best possible service for my clients.
To that end, I regularly attend ongoing education throughout the year to keep up to date with current building standards. As a result, I combine this experience and knowledge to provide you with high quality home inspections.
Finally, some examples of my education.
- Diploma in trades training Plumbing and Gas fitting (4 year apprenticeship) – BCIT
- Home Inspection 1 Course – BCIT
- House Inspection 2 Course – BCIT
- Home Inspection Report Writing Course – BCIT
- House Inspection Field Inspection Course – BCIT
- 5 mentor ship sessions (20 hours) – ASTTBC-PI
- BC Building Code Part 9 Course – BCIT
- Structure Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Electrical Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Heating/Cooling Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Plumbing Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Interior/Insulation/Ventilation Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Exterior/Roofing Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Business Practices/Standards of Practice Examination – CAHPI-BC
- Field Training (50 Hours) – CAHPI-BC
- Ladder & Fall Protection Safety – WorkSafe BC
- Inspection Windows & Doors – Centra Constriction Group
- Roofing Best Practices in BC – Roofing Contractors Association of BC
- Inspection Wet Basements & Nasty Crawlspaces – Island Basement Systems
- Mold Recognition, Assessment & Control – Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories
- Roofing Best Practices ~ Roofing Contractors Association of British Columbia (RCABC)
- The evolution of building codes and home construction practices – Constructive Home Solutions
- Manufactured home inspection course – Manufactured Home Association of BC
- Marijuana grow-ops and chemical labs identification – RCMP Burnaby drug enforcement detachment
- Inspecting HVAC – Gandy Installations
- Residential Roofing Problems 2016 – Roofing Association of British Columbia (RCABC)
- Attics and the problems you never knew – Constructive Home Solutions